A great rafting day is all you need to feel alive and full of energy. Experience El Chaltén and get up close to nature in the shadows of Mt. Fitz Roy while navigating hair-raising Class III rapids.
Live an adventure full of adrenaline and a different way to enjoy El Chaltén and its mountains view, rafting through the clear blue waters of the Río de las Vueltas.
This full day program starts picking you up from any hotel in El Calafate and arriving to El Chaltén village around 11 am. Here, you will have four hours free to walk around and get information about the different hikes and must-sees.
Then, we will meet again and go towards the operational base where expert guides will welcome and explain a bit about the rafting activity of the day. You will also be provided of all the required technical equipment: thermal and dry suits, helmet, life jacket and neoprene boots.
After making your way to the river’s shore, the guides will conduct a safety and technical briefing, and you will head out on some calm waters -ideal for practising your paddling techniques and learning how to manoeuvre running rapids. Be prepared to get wet and laugh a lot: the course is full of exhilarating twists and turns!
The first 4 km are on tranquil waters, ideal to familiarise yourself with the raft, the river and practice the necessary paddling techniques; but also to soak in the extraordinary views of Mt. Fitz Roy.
The next part is challenging as it becomes more turbulent and thrilling for an 8 km stretch of exciting Class III rapids that will be sure to test your new rafting skills.
The final stage is a gentle 2 km coast down the meandering river, perfect to catch your breath and contemplate the breathtaking landscape once again.
After the adventure in the river, a lunch box is provided in the headquarters and the vehicle will be waiting for you to take you back to El Calafate, arriving around 8:30 pm.
Book this experience and take back home a unique perspective of this spectacular National Park and a memorable thrilling rafting adventure.
It is also possible to book this tour starting/ending in El Chaltén, with 2 daily departures (except Thursdays). This option does not include transfers and box lunch.
- Difficulty: intermediate-moderate. No previous rafting experience required.
- Fitness level: medium.
- Duration: full day or half day starting in El Chaltén.
- Duration of rafting tour: 2 hs.
- Season: from November to March.
- Operates every day except Thursdays.
- Min. 3 pax required.
- Max. capacity per raft: 8 pax.
- Minimum age required: 18 years old. Minors must be accompanied by their parents or legal tutor.
- Equipment included: waterproof dry suit, boots, life jackets, helmets.
- Full day excursion includes transfer from and to El Calafate + 2 hs rafting + Lunch box (meat or vegetarian sandwich + fruit + beverage).