A full day experience that combines driving, navigating and trekking at one of the wildest and outermost corners in the Patagonia.
There is no doubt that anyone who visits El Chaltén looks for nature, adventure and hiking. Many trails within this trekking national capital take you through and towards breathtaking landscapes and views, such as the mighty Mt. Fitz Roy.
This time, we want to tell you about a full day adventure from El Chaltén to the northern area of Los Glaciares National Park and the Lago del Desierto reserve.
A different tour option that allows not only many pictures and memories but also flora and fauna observation and interpretation, sailing across the Lago del Desierto, hiking through one of the prettiest forests of the region and reaching lookouts with unique views of the Vespignani glacier.
Departing from El Chaltén, we travel 36 km by bus across a panoramic road through the woods and along the Río de las Vueltas. On the way, you can’t miss the view of giant glaciers.
After arriving in Punta Sur, we go aboard a boat and sail on the Lago del Desierto for about 50 minutes, spotting the Crestón and Huemul glaciers.
We disembark for 15 minutes in Punta Norte to enjoy a unique distant view of Mt. Fitz Roy’s northern face and breath in the Patagonian fresh forest air.
We continue to navigate towards the Vespignani glacier, right in the middle of the lake. Once at the reserve, we disembark and get into the forest walking towards a dome where you can leave any personal belongings that you don’t want to take with you.
Then, a person responsible for the trekking activity takes you to the starting point of the hikes and gives information about the three different trails. All of them are self-guided and imply different levels of difficulty and effort. There’re about 2 hours for the trekking activity before the boat returns.
The more demanding hike trail begins right after crossing the bridge over the river. It takes about 40-50 minutes at a slow pace and it goes through the forest on a slight and constant slope. This path takes you first to the nearest viewpoint of the Vespignani glacier and then to an outlook of the north face of Mt. Fitz Roy.
The moderate trail is softer and takes about 20 minutes. Hiking through the native woods of lenga and coihue trees and by the stream line on the right, we reach a different viewpoint from where Mt. Vespignani with its hanging glacier and a part of the Lago del Desierto can be seen, frames by the forest. Picture perfect!
Last but not least, the easiest and more relaxed path reaches a river’s mouth where you may also spot the glacier. Walking by the lake’s coastline, you get back to the dome. There’s almost no slopes on this trail and it takes about 30 minutes.
After the hiking experience of your choice, we have a snack at this magical place. Then we go on board again to sail back on the Lago del Desierto towards Punta Sur, where the bus awaits to take us back again to El Chaltén, where the adventure comes to an end.
Contact you Kallpa Executive for more information about this experience.
- Operates from October to April.
- Full day regular excursion.
- Daily departure in the morning and in the afternoon.
- Morning departure by bus from El Chalten at 8 am, leaving from Punta Sur at 10 am. Return to Punta Sur at 1.30 pm and ending in El Chaltén at 4 pm.
- Afternoon departure by bus from El Chalten at 12.30 pm, leaving from Punta Sur at 2.30 pm. Return to Punta Sur at 6 pm and ending in El Chaltén at 8 pm.
- Includes bilingual Spanish/English guide, roundtrip transfers from El Chaltén (can be excluded), navigation and a snack (hot chocolate, tea or coffee and sweet and salty biscuits).
- A Box Lunch can be included with extra charge and upon request. It includes two empanadas, an individual chard pie or similar, one cereal bar, one alfajor, an apple, candies, a small bottle of mineral water and a box of fruit juice.